Festive Season is around the corner and we hope you’ve started with your Christmas gift planning. If you haven’t, that’s ok, we have got you covered!
It is a WONDERFUL time of the year in Saffa land. Warmer weather and holiday vibes are around the corner, and of course, Christmas time with our friends and family.
Don’t know about you, but getting the perfect gifts is a highlight for us, and yes, it can be stressful, and yes, we ALSO leave it to the very last minute. BUT it is all worth it when we see the smiles and get those thankful hugs from our deserving friends and fam. It is the one time of year we can just give a bit extra, and show our gratitude for the ones we love.
Where to start?! Planning and prep is a BIG part of being an awesome gift giver!
A few things to consider when planning your Christmas gifts :
- Whom are you buying for?
- What do they love or what are they passionate about?
- What are their interests?
- What is your budget?
- Where will the giving take place?
- Do they have space?
Once you have taken all of the above into consideration, you can get to work sniffing out the coolest, most unique local makers at your local market, shops or local online stores. We love going to markets (of course), and it’s also a great experience out connecting with friends and family. Why not shop with a bubbly or designer cocktail in hand while listening to great live music!
5 Reasons why buying local gifts is extra special.
- Products made with love (Quality): Local makers are putting their own handy work and reputations on the line when producing their products. You can sense the love and artisanal expertise in these products, and it does make them extra special.
- Authenticity & Uniqueness: Each maker brings their own flair and design language to their products. These are also not mass produced, and therefore not available everywhere. Receiving a beautiful handmade gift is a wonderful experience and something you want to show off to friends and family.
- Customisation: Another wonderful thing about being able to buy from local makers, is you can chat and engage with them. Most of the makers are open to requests for customised products from shopper – from jewellery, ceramics, accessories, decor and also shoemakers. It really gives an extra special touch to any gift. But please – plan ahead and give the makers enough time to do this for you!!
- The Cool/Wow Factor: Local is most definitely lekker. The coolness factor comes from receiving something never seen before, locally made, that is in tune with local style and is not mass-produced. (scarcity is a luxury people! Last but definitely not least…
- Supporting the local economy: By buying local, essentially you are keeping the bulk of your Rands in economic rotation within our borders, and our communities. This has a far reaching ripple effect in that locally supported businesses can continue to trade and grow, and in turn, reinvest in their communities by means of purchases from other local businesses, creating employment and also being able to give back to their community causes!
There you have it. Have a blast discovering local makers and deciding on awesome gifts for your loved ones this festive season.
A great opportunity for this will be at The Linden Market Christmas Edition 26 & 27 November where we have some incredible makers sharing their festive season ranges. Get your tickets here! And if you can’t join us, do not worry, we are now also ONLINE at The Linden Market Online. #sharinglocalawesomeness
Running out of time and need help? You can also have a look at our TOP locally made gift picks for Christmas.
With Market Love,
The TLM Team